Issues and Challenges
- Federal and state budgets and taxes have been severely challenged by the Great Recession. We support a balanced approach to resolving the crisis, combining care on the spending side with needed enhancements on the revenue side.
- Illinois's new Budgeting for Results initiative must be carefully implemented. It opens opportunities for change but also threatens key programs.
- Raise the federal debt ceiling without using it as a hostage on federal budget issues. The nation's credit standing can and does affect low-income people and communities..
- Maintain national investments in education, job training, health care, human services, and job creation, and protect entitlements and ensure that their benefits are adequate.
- Improve the adequacy and fairness of the federal revenue system.
- Support a balanced approach to deficit reduction so that investments and entitlements are protected and enhanced.
- During the annual state budget process, establish and protect priorities for low-income people and communities, and ensure that the state takes full advantage of all revenue opportunities.
- Fight to ensure that the choices made by state and federal governments do not shortchange key investments or supports for people who are unable to work or to find work.